Jerwood Drawing Prize, UK (Lá Fora… 146)
Jerwood Drawing Prize, UK
Deadline : 22 June, 2009
Call for entries to this prestigious annual drawing exhibition. Drawings are chosen for the annual exhibition from an open submission by an independent panel of three selectors who typically represent the perspectives of practitioner, curator and writer. 1st prize £6,000; 2nd prize £3,000.
The Jerwood Drawing Prize aims to promote and reward excellence and talent in contemporary drawing practice through the support and recognition of the work of established and emerging artists in the field of drawing. The Jerwood Drawing Prize has been developed to provide a forum for the exhibition of current drawing practice through the selection of an annual show by a panel of subject experts. The annual exhibition is open to all artists resident or domiciled in the UK.
Drawings are chosen for the annual exhibition from an open submission by an independent panel of three selectors who typically represent the perspectives of practitioner, curator and writer.
The selection panel for the Jerwood Drawing Prize 2009 will be Tania Kovats, Artist; Roger Malbert, Senior Curator, Hayward Touring Exhibitions, South Bank Centre; Nicholas Usherwood, Writer, Art Critic & Curator.
The award winners are announced at the Jerwood Space, London at the launch of the exhibition in September. The exhibition is accompanied by regular education events at The Jerwood Space. The exhibition subsequently tours to 4 or 5 further venues in the UK.
The aims and objectives of the Jerwood Drawing Prize project are to:
* promote the discipline of drawing
* provide a forum for the exhibition of current drawing practice;
* gain knowledge and understanding about drawing through a ‘survey’ of artists currently making work within the discipline
* situate this discourse within the academic and research context of an art school
* support and recognise the work of all artists in the field of drawing as an emerging discipline, including that of established artists and that of emerging artists engaged in the discipline of drawing.